Friday, March 25, 2011

Donuts

I watched Wordplay yesterday. It made me want to play crosswords again, so I got out my New York Times Tuesday puzzle book full of half-finished puzzles. I could still only get about half done. Eh.

Anyway. No hugely exciting news today. Spent a good part of the morning making calls (auf Deutsch!) to arrange appointments and whatnot for my mom. They've finally begun tearing down the old Mensa across the street from our house. I busted out my watercolour set. That's about it.

I'm a big Tom Waits fan, and ever since I heard "9th and Hennepin," I've wanted to illustrate the first two lines of the song: "Well, it's 9th and Hennepin. All the donuts have names that sound like prostitutes..." 

This is what I imagine the Dunkin' Donuts equivalent at 9th and Hennepin to be like.


I love Tom Waits because he can really paint a picture in your mind. And because he's possibly the coolest man alive. 


My mom just refers to him as the "grumbly old man" (だみ声親父).

No comments:

Post a Comment